The Construction Project Estimator will gather, evaluate, and then prepare detailed total cost information for cost-effectiveness for and during the construction bid process. They may visit construction sites to gather information and analyze proposals, specifications, blueprints, and construction documents in order to understand the project. Estimators work closely with project managers to coordinate and oversee the vendors and/or subcontractors in the bid process. They determine the time, labor, materials, and product costs for the project and communicate the requirements to the client. An estimator works mainly in an office environment but may visit construction sites occasionally as needed to obtain necessary information.
- Full time position. Qualified candidates should have 3-5 years of experience with a background in estimating large scale for utility construction and/or excavation for both commercial and residential projects.
- Develop project estimates with attention to erosion control, clearing, excavation, water/sewer storm drains, storm water management, curb and site concrete, stone base, and asphalt paving.
- Review blueprints, plans, and specifications in order to understand the project as a whole and then prepare detailed estimates.
- Research and acquire sub-contractors through competitive quotes, negotiate terms.
- Estimate time, labor, construction materials, and product costs to determine the overall cost for construction/excavation projects.
- Prepare written proposals, cost estimates, budgets, and updates for the client and the project managers.
- Provide all subcontractors with drawings and specifications prior to the bid process.
- Attend the pre-bid meetings if needed.
- Use of AGTEK software and Procontractor software strongly preferred.
- CAD experience and utility (storm & sanitary sewer) working knowledge strongly preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office with a focus on Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong math skills and above average computer skills.
- Critical thinking skills with ability to problem solve and make effective decisions.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously using good time management skills.
- Above average written and verbal communication skills needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Degree in construction management or estimating, or related field experience is a plus. Civil Engineering is a plus.